The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 10:15:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
118204 Posts in 5527 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Aubrey
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Where is the love?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Where is the love?  (Read 12995 times)
Riotgrrl

« on: February 09, 2014, 02:03:20 pm »

You English, Northern Irish and Welsh have been told by your leader that you have all to be phoning me and texting me and telling me to vote NO in the Scottish independence referendum because you love us Sweaties so much that you don't want us to go.

I've been sitting by my phone all weekend waiting for your calls.

Riotgrrl

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 02:05:48 pm »

Your man stood there, in the sacred and holy ground of the Olympic Games, telling you how the UK was the best nation in the world ever, uniquely wonderful (but hey, it's the Independistas who are 'nationalists' apparently  Roll Eyes) and how the red white and blue of the Union Jack represented our shared blood (or some such emotional guff).

But not one of you got off your arses to tell me how much you loved me.

K-K-Kate

Didn't it rain?

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 02:08:56 pm »

Now wait a minnit, Riot.  Never heard of a surprise?

To live is so startling, it leaves little time for anything else. ~ Emily Dickinson
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 02:12:24 pm »

You English, Northern Irish and Welsh have been told by your leader that you have all to be phoning me and texting me and telling me to vote NO in the Scottish independence referendum because you love us Sweaties so much that you don't want us to go.

I've been sitting by my phone all weekend waiting for your calls.

Never-mind that, did you watch the rugby?

I thought your guys did splendidly well at blowing into those bags before the match kicked off.

Dr Taj Hargey, Chairman, Muslim Education Centre Oxford :
No, but... I've just mentioned that, we have a one vocabulary in private and we have another vocabulary for the public domain, and that's why you don't hear it because you're the public domain.
Riotgrrl

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 02:15:09 pm »

Nah, I don't care for rugby but I heard we got horsed.

We're all about the tennis now up here anyway.
K-K-Kate

Didn't it rain?

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 02:18:08 pm »

I LOVE Rugby.  The Sevens, anyway.

To live is so startling, it leaves little time for anything else. ~ Emily Dickinson
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 02:22:11 pm »

Nah, I don't care for rugby but I heard we got horsed.

We're all about the tennis now up here anyway.

Yes, thank you for looking after that great British icon Andy Murray for the first few years of his life.

No, but... I've just mentioned that, we have a one vocabulary in private and we have another vocabulary for the public domain, and that's why you don't hear it because you're the public domain.
Riotgrrl

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 02:29:37 pm »

His Mum's a big YES voter incidentally.

Andy has yet to declare.   He used to be an SNP supporter, but nobody knows for sure if he's changed his mind.

So cheers, yeah, we'll be having Andy back.  You get to keep Tim Henman.
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 02:32:45 pm »

His Mum's a big YES voter incidentally.

Andy has yet to declare.   He used to be an SNP supporter, but nobody knows for sure if he's changed his mind.

So cheers, yeah, we'll be having Andy back.  You get to keep Tim Henman.

Then he wont win again as we will put him in the hard part of the draw. Grin

Stoner McStonedface

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 02:50:29 pm »

I'm showing my love for you by letting you go your own way in life without trying to interfere

Link - Be who you want to be, not what you're told you need to be

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed by El Robbo on GWD do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of El Robbo
drippinhun

The good old U.S. - living in a kakistocracy

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 03:53:47 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYqINQRFhaE

"Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds the criticsms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed." Herman Melville.

Trump drains swamp and installs open-air septic tank.
everso
Administrator

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 01:42:10 am »

I'm showing my love for you by letting you go your own way in life without trying to interfere

Same here.  Kay Sarah and all that.

ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 02:39:47 am »

Your man stood there, in the sacred and holy ground of the Olympic Games, telling you how the UK was the best nation in the world ever, uniquely wonderful (but hey, it's the Independistas who are 'nationalists' apparently  Roll Eyes) and how the red white and blue of the Union Jack represented our shared blood (or some such emotional guff).

But not one of you got off your arses to tell me how much you loved me.

The man is a half wit

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Hertha BSC, so schön ist dein Name!
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Myky D

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 03:14:12 am »

I have yet to see either side take the independence campaign seriously, and state actual positives and negatives rhetoric-free.

It raises various questions, though - how did the Independence campaign for Scotland come to the conclusion that Scotland was the ideal geopolitical size for independence? Why not smaller or larger? How did they arrive at that? Also, why shouldn't all of the United Kingdom divide into similarly-sized countries? Freedom for Mercia, Somerset, Cornwall, Wales, &c? Also, why isn't the Scottish independence campaign fighting for all of these?

It's all a bit silly, and it doesn't help having hysterical, shouty pundits on either side swearing loudly and calling each other names.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 03:19:42 am »

I have yet to see either side take the independence campaign seriously, and state actual positives and negatives rhetoric-free.

It raises various questions, though - how did the Independence campaign for Scotland come to the conclusion that Scotland was the ideal geopolitical size for independence? Why not smaller or larger? How did they arrive at that? Also, why shouldn't all of the United Kingdom divide into similarly-sized countries? Freedom for Mercia, Somerset, Cornwall, Wales, &c? Also, why isn't the Scottish independence campaign fighting for all of these?

It's all a bit silly, and it doesn't help having hysterical, shouty pundits on either side swearing loudly and calling each other names.

I guess the geopolitical size is determined by it being the shape of scotland as defined by its political and administrative boundaries which match it's border.

I think the further downsizing of the UK should be for those areas to decide, much the same as it should be scotland to decide.

Why should scotland be 'fighting' for cornwall ?

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Myky D

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 03:50:00 am »

I guess the geopolitical size is determined by it being the shape of scotland as defined by its political and administrative boundaries which match it's border.

Sure. How are they decided, and based on what?

I think the further downsizing of the UK should be for those areas to decide, much the same as it should be scotland to decide.

Why should scotland be 'fighting' for cornwall ?

Well - I would think that the reason they want independence is for the good of everyone involved, and that they've reached the conclusion that smaller, more localised power bases of n-size are the answer. I would therefore think that it matters not a toss whether it's Scotland, Mercia, Wales or North-East Somerset - that they would want the Independence Campaign to apply for all.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 03:54:41 am »

Sure. How are they decided, and based on what?

Well - I would think that the reason they want independence is for the good of everyone involved, and that they've reached the conclusion that smaller, more localised power bases of n-size are the answer. I would therefore think that it matters not a toss whether it's Scotland, Mercia, Wales or North-East Somerset - that they would want the Independence Campaign to apply for all.

You are perfectly entitled to think that

It has nothing to do with scottish independance though

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Myky D

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 04:11:18 am »

You are perfectly entitled to think that

It has nothing to do with scottish independance though

I know - I'm entitled to think anything I like.

It does have to do with Scottish independence - how did they agree what size they would go down to, and how come they haven't commented on whether it should happen nationally? Are they that short sighted? Or just selfish?
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 04:22:13 am »

I know - I'm entitled to think anything I like.

It does have to do with Scottish independence - how did they agree what size they would go down to, and how come they haven't commented on whether it should happen nationally? Are they that short sighted? Or just selfish?

What is this tosh ?

Short sighted, selfish ?

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Myky D

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 04:25:04 am »

Well - selfish - they're not considering anyone else. Short-sighted - unable or unwilling to consider anything beyond their own perceived border.
Weyland
Administrator

~~ Thank you, Rafa! ~~

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 04:36:39 am »

Same here.  Kay Sarah and all that.

â¦  ❦  ❦  ❦

❥  I'll drink to that too❣  ❤

â¦  ❦  ❦  ❦

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 04:38:59 am »

Well - selfish - they're not considering anyone else. Short-sighted - unable or unwilling to consider anything beyond their own perceived border.

I don't think Scotland's border is anymore perceived than England's unless you think otrherwise.

Why do you feel Scotland should have to consider anything outside their border ?

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Myky D

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 04:43:45 am »

I don't think Scotland's border is anymore perceived than England's unless you think otrherwise.

Why do you feel Scotland should have to consider anything outside their border ?

I just thought they might be more considerate than that. Clearly not.

I'm interested in how they've concluded that some of the historical Scottish borders are appropriate now, and why. Particularly in light of how the population and technology have changed over time.

Like I said - I've yet to see anyone take it seriously.
ymrader
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 04:45:41 am »

I just thought they might be more considerate than that. Clearly not.

I'm interested in how they've concluded that some of the historical Scottish borders are appropriate now, and why. Particularly in light of how the population and technology have changed over time.

Like I said - I've yet to see anyone take it seriously.

Why the constant sniping at scottish people ?

How appropriate is the english border ?

Alte Dame, Alte Dame
Die Farben Blau-Weiß,
die Trikots gestreift,
im Herzen weht nur eins:
Unsere Fahne!
Myky D

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 04:49:09 am »

Why the constant sniping at scottish people ?

How appropriate is the english border ?

Who's sniping at Scottish people?

What do you mean "appropriate"?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: