The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 10:37:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
117887 Posts in 5580 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Aubrey
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  Jeremy Paxman vs Russell Brand
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Jeremy Paxman vs Russell Brand  (Read 27475 times)
Myky D

« on: October 25, 2013, 05:08:39 am »

Awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YR4CseY9pk
Dangerous Beans

Woof

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 05:40:47 am »

I thought so too Smiley
Myky D

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 05:48:48 am »

Over the course of the year I've developed a begrudging and very real respect for Brand. I've read a couple of his articles, and now this. While irritatingly egotistical (I hate egotistical people), he's actually got a very good brain. He's verbose, but it appears to come from a love of language as opposed to - say - the Stephen Fry school of masturbatory intellectualism.

He's very good. I hope he remains at the forefront of revolutionary political speaking.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 05:54:29 am »

Over the course of the year I've developed a begrudging and very real respect for Brand. I've read a couple of his articles, and now this. While irritatingly egotistical (I hate egotistical people), he's actually got a very good brain. He's verbose, but it appears to come from a love of language as opposed to - say - the Stephen Fry school of masturbatory intellectualism.

Very well put. Can't stand his manner, and he has a shocking record of gormless and sometimes nasty stunts, but the rest is spot on.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 07:35:35 am »

"Massive redistribution of wealth" - yes, that's a new one.  Shall we start with his wealth?  No, probably not.

"Don't bother voting" - what does he want? A benign dictator? 

Russell Brand bores me to tears.  Same old same old.  Sorry guys.  Smiley  He's extremely good at talking and he has a great vocabulary.  He's a wordsmith.

everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 07:37:31 am »

And, what's more, the way he treats his women is despicable. 

Myky D

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 07:44:42 am »

Huh?
everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 07:52:22 am »

Smiley

Myky D

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 08:01:49 am »

"Massive redistribution of wealth" - yes, that's a new one.  Shall we start with his wealth?  No, probably not.

Russell Brand bores me to tears.  Same old same old.  Sorry guys.  Smiley  He's extremely good at talking and he has a great vocabulary.  He's a wordsmith.

Well this is it. I addressed the first of these points a couple of weeks ago - the point he makes regarding redistribution of wealth is salient - just because he is quite rich does not detract from that - one does not have to practice what one preaches.

Likewise with voting - he says to Paxman "So we're going to sit in a hotel room and in ten minutes come up with an entirely new and workable global governing system?"

Just because one points out fault does not mean one has to have a solution.

If you don't vote, you just lose the right to moan about the current government. He's on about the entire discourse of societal government.
everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 08:10:59 am »

Well this is it. I addressed the first of these points a couple of weeks ago - the point he makes regarding redistribution of wealth is salient - just because he is quite rich does not detract from that - one does not have to practice what one preaches.

Likewise with voting - he says to Paxman "So we're going to sit in a hotel room and in ten minutes come up with an entirely new and workable global governing system?"

Just because one points out fault does not mean one has to have a solution.

If you don't vote, you just lose the right to moan about the current government. He's on about the entire discourse of societal government.

I'd have a bit more respect for him if he put himself forward to lead a revolution, instead of just talking about it. 

As I said, he's a wordsmith.  He's very good at it.  His teeth worry me though.  Several times I thought he was about to take a bite out of Paxman.

Myky D

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 08:13:44 am »

I'd have a bit more respect for him if he put himself forward to lead a revolution, instead of just talking about it. 

As I said, he's a wordsmith.  He's very good at it.  His teeth worry me though.  Several times I thought he was about to take a bite out of Paxman.

I got the distinct message from that that it's up to everyone to lead the revolution - not just him. I agree with him.

He does eat Paxman alive, it's true.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 08:23:23 am »

Didn't say I agreed with him. Just that I admire his command and use of the language. And the contrast with Stevo, who uses his fluency to be fluently fluent about his fluency.

Wordsmith, as you said. Tedious prat with it.

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
vanceen

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 10:41:33 am »

I watched five minutes of it and was too embarrassed for Brand to continue.

Vague, simplistic and half-informed convictions defended with emotional conviction and little else. I've heard teenagers do it better.
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 10:51:22 am »

Vague, simplistic and half-informed convictions defended with emotional conviction and little else. I've heard teenagers do it better.

Another good summary. Professional teenager with the gift of the gab. Or something.

Rasta

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 11:42:47 am »

Yeah that was simply awful. Back in the days, you'd always run in to someone like that at a gathering of stoners - some bloviating nit-wit with all the world's answers, but doesn't even have the wherewithal to survive without a stipend from his parents. I can't count the number of times a buzz was killed by such.

Here you go: http://www.theonion.com/articles/group-of-friends-engage-in-passionate-incoherent-d,33500/

You gotta pay the troll toll if you wanna get into that boy's soul
Stoner McStonedface

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 12:23:46 pm »

His women?  That's very sexist of you to suggest anyone can own a woman  Undecided

Link - Be who you want to be, not what you're told you need to be

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed by El Robbo on GWD do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of El Robbo
Mister Fantastic

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 01:02:23 pm »

He doesn't vote because MP's forced him to inject heroin.

What a first class ....!

Dr Taj Hargey, Chairman, Muslim Education Centre Oxford :
No, but... I've just mentioned that, we have a one vocabulary in private and we have another vocabulary for the public domain, and that's why you don't hear it because you're the public domain.
everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 04:35:26 pm »

His women?  That's very sexist of you to suggest anyone can own a woman  Undecided

You know what I mean!  In the same that I'd say "Your wife" or "Your partner".  Tsk!

Myky D

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 03:49:27 am »

He doesn't vote because MP's forced him to inject heroin.

What a first class ....!

That's exactly exactly what he didn't say.

He raises good, salient points.

Rasta,  Vanceen - what do you think about the points he raised, regarding disparity of wealth making people angry, rethinking the concepts of how people view government, and the stagnation of politics into a system that only serves the ruling elite?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 03:53:24 am by Rex Wonderman » Logged
everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 05:50:20 am »

Myky, I think other people of other generations have probably said the same.  I seem to remember wealthy celebrities in the 60s getting themselves worked up about politics and telling us 'the Revolution' was about to happen.  It didn't. 

Russell Brand loves himself and loves to hear himself talk. 

everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 05:51:18 am »

And another thing.  I'm cheesed off with listening to him bring up the subject of his previous drug addiction.  He wears it like a badge of honour.

Myky D

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 06:51:18 am »

Myky, I think other people of other generations have probably said the same.  I seem to remember wealthy celebrities in the 60s getting themselves worked up about politics and telling us 'the Revolution' was about to happen.  It didn't. 

Russell Brand loves himself and loves to hear himself talk. 

I'm sure you're right.

What do you make of the points he raised?
Disclaimer

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 06:52:58 am »

And another thing.  I'm cheesed off with listening to him bring up the subject of his previous drug addiction.  He wears it like a badge of honour.

He doesn't though. He's just not ashamed of it, or to put it more precisely, he doesn't allow others to use it to beat him about the head with it.

I think we have a bit of a disconnect here in general in this thread. I'd say he doesn't come across all that well to people who are older than he is, but I don't know if that's true as I don't know people's ages. I think a lot of the time he isn't being 100% serious and that's just his personality coming through. It's easier for him to dismiss his detractors if he's less serious than they are all the time.

Having said that, I think he has a few fair points. He referenced in the article he wrote Oliver Cromwell's speech on YouTube. So yeah discontenment has been around for quite a while it seems. At least since the seventies when the film was made (which had Dumbledore (Richard Harris) in it of all people).

http://youtu.be/ihUHlDZZfkY
Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2013, 07:02:05 am »

He doesn't though. He's just not ashamed of it, or to put it more precisely, he doesn't allow others to use it to beat him about the head with it.

He beats others about the head with it though, he brings it up so often. Of course he does -- it's about R. Brand.

I think we have a bit of a disconnect here in general in this thread. I'd say he doesn't come across all that well to people who are older than he is

That might well be because he says nothing new. Us fogies have heard it all before before before. That and the infantile humour.

Myky D

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2013, 07:08:02 am »

How about we try discussing the points he made, instead of him?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: