The Great World Debate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 09:44:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
R.I.P Nick. OLF died 13 October 2016.
117889 Posts in 5581 Topics by 86 Members
Latest Member: Aubrey
* Home Help Login Register
+  The Great World Debate
|-+  The Chamber
| |-+  The Comfy Chair of Conversation
| | |-+  3 women found alive after 10 years
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: 3 women found alive after 10 years  (Read 21449 times)
A Pair of Socks
« on: May 07, 2013, 08:55:46 am »

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/06/18091211-three-ohio-women-found-alive-after-being-missing-for-a-decade-3-men-arrested?lite

WOW!
I dread to think what they've been through.

How can people be hidden for so long.
Can you all remember that Austian guy who had his own daughter in a secret underground offshoot from his basement
Kolamba
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 09:54:42 am »

I;ve just been following the press conference on this. A genuinely strange tale with at least one child of the abducted women. Hard to see how they got away with it at this stage.
Rosie
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 10:24:13 am »

I't giving me the horrors. It took me months to finish the novel Room. I kept having nightmares and abandoned the book several times.
Myky D

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 10:28:06 am »

It rubs the lotion on it's skin, or it gets the hose again.
Sarah Oh!

Josh Wong, a bloody hero

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 10:33:36 am »

I;ve just been following the press conference on this. A genuinely strange tale with at least one child of the abducted women. Hard to see how they got away with it at this stage.

Doesn't seem like Stockholm Syndrome in this case, which is frequently part of the equation in these weird situations.  There were three of them, which seems bizarre. Why couldn't three of them overpower their jailer?
Rosie
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 11:02:32 am »

Because there were probably three jailers involved. Three men have been arrested.

Please, please, let´s not go down that ugly route that some posters on forums took in the case of Natascha Kampusch.That was utterly sickening.
ninja

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 11:05:02 am »

Because there were probably three jailers involved. Three men have been arrested.

Please, please, let´s not go down that ugly route that some posters on forums took in the case of Natascha Kampusch.That was utterly sickening.

Iread that there was 3 men, all brothers.

3 'wives' for 3 brothers.

Yes, I will see your passive-aggresive condescending sarcasm and I will raise you, one finger.
Kolamba
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 11:06:36 am »

Iread that there was 3 men, all brothers.

3 'wives' for 3 brothers.

Sadly that's what I thought too. But as Rosie says probably best not to speculate too much, although that is what internet boards are for I suppose.
Myky D

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 11:10:01 am »

I think it's probably just a publicity stunt to advertise the new series Hannibal on Sky Atlantic.
Sarah Oh!

Josh Wong, a bloody hero

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 11:13:41 am »

Oh, I wasn't implying anything along those lines.  Or at least, not intentionally.  It hadn't crossed my mind that they wanted anything other than to be out of there.

My impression is that the other two brothers didn't live there all the time, but may well be wrong about that.
Kolamba
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 12:24:09 pm »

Oh, I wasn't implying anything along those lines.  Or at least, not intentionally.  It hadn't crossed my mind that they wanted anything other than to be out of there.

Well one of them certainly legged it when she got the chance.
Kolamba
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 12:44:22 pm »

This is going to be one strange case. This is a piece about the DeJesus girl's disappearance and the effect it had on the nieghbourhood :

http://www.nhlink.net/plainpress/html/stories/2004-06/dejesusdisappearancechangesneighborhood.htm

Note the name of the author.
Sarah Oh!

Josh Wong, a bloody hero

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 12:48:14 pm »

This is going to be one strange case. This is a piece about the DeJesus girl's disappearance and the effect it had on the nieghbourhood :

http://www.nhlink.net/plainpress/html/stories/2004-06/dejesusdisappearancechangesneighborhood.htm

Gosh.  Written three years after her disappearance.  If it's him, that's really messed up.  Maybe it's a common name.
Rosie
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 12:52:34 pm »

It's going to be a horrific case. Those women will never fully recover, not to mention the rape-children involved (I read that there was more than one child).
ninja

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 03:33:56 am »

It was written by his son apparently, also called Ariel after his father.

He said in interview that he was all messed up, and didn't know what to think and couldn't comment as he felt sick.

Yes, I will see your passive-aggresive condescending sarcasm and I will raise you, one finger.
Kolamba
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 04:57:20 am »

It was written by his son apparently, also called Ariel after his father.

He said in interview that he was all messed up, and didn't know what to think and couldn't comment as he felt sick.

Yes I've read that this morning. If the children didn't know then they must be in a very dark place right now; one of the three's daughter was a good friend of one of the missing girls.
Voice
Global Newbie

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 02:40:02 pm »

How many other children  are there that are being held against their will? I bet we've only seen the tip of the iceberg.

I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.
A Pair of Socks
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 02:51:25 pm »

Police were called by a neighbour saying they thought someone was being held against their will in that house.
Another neighbour had reported seening a woman being beaten and forced to crawl around the garden late at night on all fours with a rope around her neck.
The police went to the house but didn't go in.
They'll have some questions to answer
everso

MR. PHILLIPS

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 04:46:17 pm »

It rubs the lotion on it's skin, or it gets the hose again.

Was that "The Silence of the Lambs"?   Tongue

Weyland
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 01:28:52 am »

Was that "The Silence of the Lambs"?   Tongue

Indeed.

WY
per pro Michael D

"Theresa May’s determination to pursue hard Brexit = stepping off a 10m diving board without checking there is any water in the pool."
First-Time-Ever Department: The UK is negotiating with the rest of the EU in order to secure a worse trade deal than we already have.
Rosie
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 02:02:02 am »

How many other children  are there that are being held against their will? I bet we've only seen the tip of the iceberg.

That's what haunts me, there must be women and children all over the world being kept in cellars and sound-proofed rooms, who live out lives of hell and end up buried in a back garden.
Rosie
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 04:03:24 am »

Some hair-raising stuff coming out now: when the baby was being born, he told the young girl to help deliver it and that he would kill her if it died. The baby stopped breathing and everybody was screaming with terror.
Quelor

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 09:57:26 am »

Some hair-raising stuff coming out now: when the baby was being born, he told the young girl to help deliver it and that he would kill her if it died. The baby stopped breathing and everybody was screaming with terror.

It's completely and wildly speculative, but my hunch is that the child was their salvation, and gave the mother strength to continually try to escape. I read today that Berry spoke to her grandmother on the phone on Tuesday, and when the grandmother asked if the child was hers, Berry said yes, and that it was her joy.

<o> \o/ <o> \o/ <o> \o/
Rosie
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 10:48:14 am »

It's completely and wildly speculative, but my hunch is that the child was their salvation, and gave the mother strength to continually try to escape. I read today that Berry spoke to her grandmother on the phone on Tuesday, and when the grandmother asked if the child was hers, Berry said yes, and that it was her joy.

Yes, very likely. The novel Room deals with this aspect. The grandparents in the novel had great difficulty in accepting the rape-child. I hope they vaccinated the child immediately.
What Larks

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 02:38:34 pm »

I't giving me the horrors. It took me months to finish the novel Room. I kept having nightmares and abandoned the book several times.

I read The Room in a couple of days and found it fascinating, largely because it was written through the eyes of the child, to whom captivity was comfort and normality.

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.”
― Dorothy Parker
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: